I've been a bad DWer recently. Feel eternally behind on checking my list, and realized today I haven't even updated since last Friday. I've been busy, but happily so. It's been a fun and eventful week, with lots of stuff to share.
- SILVER WEEK. Japan has a few September public holidays near each other, and every once in a while they align themselves in such a way that we get a nice mini-holiday we call Silver Week. Monday through Wednesday were holidays, so we had a wonderful, super long weekend.
- Sunday was the Mario 30th Anniversary Concert which was WONDERFUL. I was under the impression it was orchestral but it was actually more like a 15ish member jam band. Or something. The arrangements were playful and fun and Miyamoto was there! Freaked out a bit when he came out, but I was so excited! The guy who wrote the music also made an appearance and played a medley on the piano by himself for the first encore. May have got a bit teary eyed there.
- Tuesday a friend and I drove to Awaji Island. The main attraction there was to see a friend of mine from Academic Decathalon and the Anime Club in high school, who I had not seen since 2004, who moved there last month as part of the JET program. We had a good time chatting and doing a bit of sightseeing. It's an odd, wonderful, slightly comforting feeling to have someone from my hometown living in the general vicinity now.
- So, about the friend that drove me to Awaji Island. He's a Japanese coworker from one of my schools and we are the same age. This was our first time outside work to spend time with each other and we hit it off ridiculously well. We have a lot in common and he is WAY more into games than he originally let on (granted, I did the same to him). Yay friend? Yay male friend? Yay straight male friend? I could see us becoming closish and this almost never happens so that is cool. And also a little confusing and novel. I dunno.
- Wednesday Katsushi and I went to my friend Melissa and her husband's place for a wine and cheese party. Delicious!
- Finished up my HTML5 Course! It was only a 3 week course, but I kind of got ahead and just decided to finish up this morning. Still have a little bit of time before the next class, so until then I guess I'll just review, experiment, and do some exercises.
- I'm ahead in my Python programming class as well, but that's because the first two weeks were basically nothing anyway. But yay for staying on top of things.
- At the Last Boss in DQVIII! Probably will need to do some grinding and equipment making/upgrading though because he kicked my ass last night. :/ The other bosses in the game have been quite manageable, I think, but this last dude is BRUTAL.
- I downloaded Lunar 2 from the Japanese PSN this week. Trying to wait until I finish DQ, but with the frustrating last boss and not feeling stoked to grind, I am tempted to start this after work tonight.